Friday, 28 September 2012

Kelpie Model Progress

 This is the Kelpie so far which will now be taking a back seat as will not be in the 10% of the film for Christmas and I need to start working more with the water.
     The body is almost complete was made mainly by using cylinders, just have to add ears to it and sculpt in details. The head is a work in process, mainly have to create eyes, finish teeth, join it to the body, clean it up the then it should be ready to sculpt to.
it's all about the details, even though you will probably never see the underside of the hoof

Tuesday, 25 September 2012

Beach Scene

Test for the beach scene we have in our film to see how we can do it. will work on the aesthetic of the water later. render settings were kept basic as the test was just see how it looks.

Wednesday, 19 September 2012

So after my return from the black abyss that is maya, I am back where i belong. A little place called After Effects. The most predominant weather effect in the film has got to be the storm. I decided to mock up a few rough tests to get us going:

I added in the ocean to help create the feel of the scene and kept the clouds light to allow the splattered paint texture in the sky to shine through however the light clouds did not create dark stormy feel required.

Sunday, 16 September 2012

So I decided to go back into maya and try again. This time I tried changing the material connected to the ocean itself with a random texture I found online.

This gave the water a more interesting paint-like texture.

A collection of ocean fails:

Combining PS and AE filters, i tried to create a simple painterly feel to the terrible 3D ocean I created....It didn't work.

Monday, 10 September 2012

Ocean Tests

After messing around a little with Maya's create ocean tool, I rendered out a section.No lighting or anything just plain old ocean. Although changing the given material of the ocean to a more painterly style, the texture did not seem to change very much.

Took these into Photoshop and tried numerous attempts to add a painterly feel to them, importing them in as a sequence and applying set actions to save going into each frame individually.
Basic colour tweaks and a few stylize effects were added to try to further emphasise a painterly feel but the effect still seemed weak.

Numerous attempts to add life but also a painterly feel to the scene using Photoshop in the above example lead to complications. The foam layer on top was too random and in a sequence the movement was too quick and erratic.